Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A little slack, please

A recently added benefit at my place of employment is free emotional counseling. Maybe the announcement schedule had something to do with the economy (or if not on purpose, it's pretty dang good timing).

Anyway, what with the economy, the prevalence of the winter blues and the whole holiday season (which unfortunately is not always joyful for everyone), I support this measure. I think free counseling is a great thing, and probably more people should have access to stuff like this - so please don't misconstrue what I'm about to say.

To spread the word about this new service, there is now a poster in the HR office advertising counseling resources. It's pretty much the most depressing picture of a distraught woman I've ever seen, and if you're not depressed already, you will be after walking past the poster. But whatever, maybe people can really relate to that. Fine. What gets me is, on this poster, in the middle of a large HR office, are tear-off mini fliers you can take for more information.

Now come on. How many people are going to tear one of those off as they walk by on their way for a coffee break? "Hey, hang on a second Frank - I could really use a little help right now, lemme just grab a counseling flier real quick." (But seriously - props if you would. That's guts.) I mean, can't they provide an easy to remember Web address for folks to check out later in the privacy of their own home or cubicle?

All I'm sayin' is, there's still a full stack of fliers there, and I am not surprised. Miss Hane-nah, can I get a "Smatchoo?"

2 comments:

Hane-nahMarie said...

Let me try to explain to you how slap happy I am about "Can I getta SMATCHOO?!"
uh hum... here goes.
its about the equivalent to how happy i was the day you created your blog!
And that was not a light hearted situation.
I might actually need to refer to your spanish word for blog post really soon. So keep a watchin. ;)

P.S. the wrod verification today as i am about to post this comment is - tristab.
That means to stab, not once, not twice. but yest threee times. what a lovely word verification that is. Welcome to Kate's blog. Please type in "tristab" and be on your way.

Emilia said...

Or even "Hey Frank, did you see these fliers? I could really use some help. Frank: Yeah! I really identify with the forlorn, distraught woman. Maybe I'll take one too. George: Hey, maybe we could go together! Support each other in therapy!" But you're right, no one would ever take one. :) Merry Christmas!!! (ps...my word verification is pocyp. is that like a polyp?)