Monday, September 14, 2009

Help

I was just thinking the other day about how comfortable I've gotten in the grown-up world. It seems like ages since I worked as a nanny (or any kind of babysitter) and the days at the orphanage in Ecuador seem more a part of my college life than my current one. I have a grown-up job, go to a grown-up ward where I teach a grown-up class...and I like it. I've gotten very comfortable in my adult environment.

...and then they called me to teach Primary. And not just the kids who are practically teenagers already, but the ones who just came from Sunbeams (the youngest kids in Primary). They're 5ish (some are 4 I think) and I am feeling way out of my grown-up realm. For someone who babysat as my high school job and immediately after college ran off to Ecuador to teach some more kids, I'm feeling ridiculously new to this kiddo thing.

I used to be really good with kids. A lot of them even listened to me. But all of a sudden I'm afraid I'll be a total failure and my class will be flying off in all directions out of control and when their parents ask them what they learned in Primary they'll just stare at them blankly.

So, um...ideas for calming wild kids (in English)? Best way to bribe a 5 year old? I never thought I'd be the one to ask advice for teaching a class of pre-school aged kids. I mean, I (mostly) successfully wrangled at least 10 at a time in a certain South American country, right? I'm searching desperately for reassurance here, somebody throw me a bone!

4 comments:

AJ and Jessica said...

We used a "reverence button" with our Sunbeams. If they were quiet they got to hold it but it had to stay between their two palms pressed together (works to keep busy hands occupied). It was an honor to get the button and they had to earn it. We also practiced reverence in class and told them 5 things we were looking for: 1) hands to yourself, 2) pockets on your seat, 3) eyes on teacher, 4) lips zipped, 5) ears listening. We had a glove with a picture of each reverence item. When they got wild we would say, "give me 5" and they would quiet down. We also bribed them with lesson appropriate "field trips" if they could be reverent. We would walk to the chapel and learn about hymn books or something. Good luck! You will be great!

Tat said...

1) You're going to do great!

2) Lots of movement - have them raise their hands to answer questions, act out stories, etc.

3) Don't worry if they don't always sit still. They're still listening.

Malisa Twelves said...

Kate, first of all, you will do great! It will all come flooding back to you your first day in primary.

Don't expect them to be able to sit still... give them time to stretch... we always did "head shoulders knees and toes" about half way through.

Also, I made them a reverence chart, and if they were reverent walking to class, during class, and for sharing time, they got 3 stickers on the chart... if they slipped up then i reminded them that they wouldn't want me to have to take a sticker off the chart... it worked pretty well..

I also made sure I had something for them to color towards the end when they got really antsy... something that went along with the lesson... i believe the nursery manual has lots of printables online. This way they have a reference when mom and dad ask what they learned about =)

BrookeandJordan said...

Holy cats! I didnt know you got called to Primary. All I have to say is WELCOME :) Jordan and I went from the 12 year olds to the 3 year olds, now were teaching the 9 year olds. One website that is amazing is www.sugardoodle.net! It is fantastic. They give handout ideas, games, pics etc. I dont always use the handouts etc. but it gives me ideas from what others have tried. So I have a confession to make our class is/was outta control. We tried reverent stuff like others commented on and well for us DID NOT work!! Not with 13, 3 year olds. So hey if ya cant beat em join em :) However, we always made them fold their arms and be quiet going back into primary. We went and got drinks towards the end.When in doubt bribe them with snacks. One of the funnest games that our kids loved was the fish pond. Jordan hid behind the table and put fish that we had cut out with questions on them on to our homemade pole.Hope this helps!! BEST WISHES!!!