Sunday, May 23, 2010

With a name like Sherald's, it has to be good

So. On our way home from Moab this weekend, Steve, my mom and I stopped in Price for some ice cream (or those of us who are lactose-tolerant did - the rest of us just stopped in Price). We had some kind of small-town shake-shack in mind, so we figured we had hit the jackpot when Main Street led us to Sherald's.

The line started behind two teenage/early-20s guys ordering burgers. I don't know what these guys do for a living, but I sure hope nobody's life is depending on their ability to make quick decisions. It sounded something like this:

Guy: "Now what comes on the bacon burger?"

Sherald's Employee: (actually, I couldn't hear what she said; she was inside the window. But I think we can safely assume she described the condiments on the bacon burger)

Guy: "Hmm...and what about the cheeseburger?"

Sherald's Employee: (again, assuming she listed the condiments. Besides cheese and bacon, I can't imagine the two burgers really differed that much)

Guy: "And what about the pickles? Do I get those too?"

...this continued for a good three minutes at least. Poor kid probably broke a pretty good sweat worrying about ketchup, onions, and lettuce. I guess if you're craving a really good burger though, you don't want to screw it up. Or maybe this was his last burger before going on a meat-free diet. I have no idea, but he was taking it more seriously than can possibly be healthy.

Anyway, he finally decided on something (and then went to his car to worry about it until they actually brought it to him, I'm sure) and we ordered. (Well, Steve and my mom did.) Steve got a large Reese's Peanut Butter Cup shake and my mom got a small chocolate shake. They told us it would be "a minute" as they were "a little backed up." I'm not sure what was going on in there, since the only other people in sight were the burger duo and two other girls waiting for milk shakes.

Anyway, about 10 minutes later they brought the shakes out - they were both the same size (which I assume was a small), but we were pretty sure she only charged us for two smalls and we were tired of waiting, so we hit the road. Steve was driving, so I broke out the spoon to help him eat. By this time, we were well on the way to the freeway.

I dug the spoon in for the first chocolate-peanut-buttery bite...but only saw white.

Me: "Huh, I don't see any Reese's yet."

Mom: "I saw her unwrapping some in there so I know she had some."

Me: "OK, they must be deeper inside I guess..."

So I crushed up some Oreos we had in the car to flavor up the first few bites. But after a few bites, all I was seeing was still white - with a few Oreo crumbs here and there. So I dug around a little more. Still nothing. It was barely even vanilla - it just tasted like milk. I added more Oreos thinking maybe the chocolate was all at the bottom and hadn't gotten mixed in right. But by the time enough of the shake was gone that I could really dig around, I was confident there was NOTHING in that shake but milk and a little vanilla ice cream.

But don't worry - I found something eventually! At the very bottom there was literally 1/4 of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. Just a quarter of it, sitting on the bottom of the cup in two pieces. Nice.

So be forewarned if you're ever in Price and craving a good milkshake...unless you like to eat a lot of milk-flavored shake with one small bite of chocolate flavor at the very end, Sherald's may not be the place for you. There is, however, a McDonald's across the street.

(Note: I really do promote patronizing mom-and-pop places like Sherald's. And it may have been that girl's first day. Or maybe she just figured she could stick it to the out-of-towners and eat the rest of the Reese's, who knows. )

1 comment:

Emilia said...

That's what you get for stopping in Price...ok, not really but Price isn't my favorite place in the world. Although, cute mom and pop places that make great ice cream are a definite favorite. Will definitely ignore this one but, it made a great story! :)