Thursday, November 20, 2008

So I guess this means the honeymoon is over

My husband is a more patient person than I realized. We've been married for a year now and it turns out he's been fooling me all this time - tricking me into believing he needed that new hat TODAY and that if we didn't get home right when the Suns game started, the whole week would be shot. Nope, the man can wait for a long time. But possibly only if it involves comedic timing or opening the mail (seriously. The weird thing is that I'm the same way. Our kids will probably grow up thinking envelopes contain some kind of gremlin.)

Anywho, when we got married, my man was the model of involvement. He came with me to all the important places - reception centers, caterer, tux shop. Our caterer (who we only met once for about 15 minutes) painted a very vivid picture of a bride whose new husband had smeared cake all over her face. Apparently, there was lots of crying involved and the caterer made my sweet fiancee swear NOT to put cake in my face. He may be a bit of a troublemaker, but he would never want to make anyone cry. And the story was convincingly tragic. So the cake stayed in our mouths.

Until this Saturday. After a romantic night out, we got the (now thawed) top of the cake out. And totally unsuspecting little me (shows you how much I've learned) got cake smashed ALL OVER her face. So naturally, I retaliated by pulling it out of my eyes and wiping it in his hair (which he didn't think was nearly as funny as me having it all over my face and up my nose). And it turns out that it's just been KILLING him this whole year that he didn't get to smear cake in my face. He's been plotting the cake smashing for a full 12 months (after which time the cake is still good - well done Clarissa!). That, my friends, is patience.

I do have to say, I'm glad he waited. Because I can be a pretty good sport about stuff like that in my kitchen, but I'm not sure I would have been so forgiving while wearing a white dress I only got to wear once, with hair that took more than an hour to do.

2 comments:

Tat said...

Wow. The guy has hidden, scary depths.

Hane-nahMarie said...

okay, that reminds me of the Bill Cosby exert I put up on my blog when he was a little boy and wanted to get his friend back for throwing a slushy snowball at him. So Cosby makes a snowball and puts in the freezer and waits till July to surprise him with it. Oh kate's husband, Steve - you are funny!